Monday, May 11

How to Paint a Brick Fireplace

This post is about 8 months overdue!  Once we had our den walls painted, I knew our fireplace had to be painted as well.  It was a dark red brick with matching grout, and it would stick out like a sore thumb in this pretty new room.  I love the look of brick though, so I used a technique that would keep that authentic look.  Here are the details!

First, I painted the entire fireplace with primer.  I just used what we had on hand, which was Zinsser 123 Plus.  

While I was painting, this was my view.  Homeownership can be exhausting!  :)

Then I painted the base color, or the grout color.  I bought 4 colors for this project- a grout color (light tan), and 3 shades of brown for a good variation. For all of these, I used samples from Sherwin Williams.   For the bricks, I simply cut a sponge to the exact size of a brick and varied the placement of the different shades.  I also layered the colors on top of each other (I would sponge on the dark brown, then sponge a lighter shade on top, and vice versa.)  The trick is to create a variety of shades to look like real brick.

So I wouldn't have too much paint on the sponge, I used a brush to lightly apply paint.  Don't push down too hard on the sponge, so you get that nice speckled look!

This project took less than a day and was very inexpensive- just a couple of sponges and 4 paint samples!

Wednesday, April 22

Home Office Reveal

I finished up our home office a couple months ago and forgot to share it!  This may be my favorite room in the house (the dining room, which is almost finished, is a close second!)  

These bookcases are what started the room!  When I was dreaming up this office, I had a vision in my head of two large bookcases with shelves on top and cabinets on the bottom and a lateral file cabinet in the middle.  But I thought it would cost a fortune to find what I was looking for and we'd probably have to wait a long time to do this room.  Then a friend of mine listed these bookcases on a Facebook yard sale site, and it all just fell perfectly into place.  It was really meant to be because I already had my eye on this file cabinet (from Kmart!) and the dimensions fit perfectly with it!  They were solid, unpainted wood so I gave them a new look with some paint and new hardware!

I also had a vision for a clock on a rope, and somehow found exactly what I was looking for.  HomeGoods for the win!

After doing countless gallery walls for clients, I finally have one of my own!  

I made this arrow with leftover wood from our headboard (which I don't think I ever blogged about? I'm so behind!)

We are still loving our DIY Iron Pipe Table!

Tuesday, March 3

DIY Iron Pipe Table

Last weekend, Doug and I built an accent table for our home office!  I had been looking for one that would really be a statement piece but hadn't seen anything I loved.  Then I remembered seeing iron pipe tables on Pinterest, and I thought it would go perfectly with our new desk.  Plus, I find it way more rewarding and fun to create something together rather than to just buy something I come across in a store (although that's fun, too :)  I didn't follow any plans or tutorials, we just thought it all out as we went.  This is Doug's favorite part- the sketching and the designing, while I love the actual labor part.  I'm always antsy to start cutting and drilling!  I think we make a pretty good team!  :)

For the table top, I wanted reclaimed wood that had lots of character.  We got some free pallets that I loved from a local tile store, but I really wanted the top to be at least over an inch thick.  So we go to Home Depot and as we're pulling up, we spot this big pile of old wood sitting by the curb.  Some of it was covered in bird poop, but some of it was absolutely gorgeous and perfect for this project!  I found a really nice Home Depot employee who gave us the go ahead to help ourselves!

Once we found the wood for our table top, we sketched out our vision for the table.  We wanted the table to be 31" wide and about 35" tall.  We also wanted several crossbars to add some visual interest, instead of just 4 legs.  We used 1" diameter pipes.

For these dimensions, you will need:

(4) 18" pipes (the tops of the 4 legs)

(4) 12" pipes (the bottoms of the 4 legs)

(1) 24" pipe that we had cut and threaded to 20.5" (the crossbar in the back)

(4) 3.5" pipes (the small crossbars on the sides)

(6) T-shaped connectors 

(8) 1" flanges (the feet and what connects the legs to the bottom of the table top)

All of the pipes cost us about $150.  It was way more expensive than I was expecting, but since the wood was free, I guess it's not too bad for a custom table!  We also used the black steel, rather than the galvanized steel since they were half the price.

We stopped by my parents' house to use my dad's table saw to cut all of the wood, then came the worst part of the whole project- taking all of the stickers off of the pipes!  I scraped them off with a razor then Doug wiped them all down with Goo Gone to get any remaining stickiness (and oil) off.  Once they were clean, we built the frame.  We each put together an "H" (the two legs plus the small crossbar), then we connected them with the long crossbar.  You want to tighten each piece as you go, so you don't have to mess with the connections once it's all together.  We set the frame in place and made sure everything was level and sturdy.  

We used two pieces of pallet wood to secure the two planks used for the table top.  We screwed them together from the bottom, then placed the table top on the frame and screwed the flanges into the pallet wood.  And our table is done!

(Sneak peek of the gallery wall in the mirror!  It's not quite finished, I still have to fill in a few more frames.)

Lamp and picture frame- Target,  Plant- HomeGoods,  Birds- Hobby Lobby



Related Posts with Thumbnails